Thursday, February 11, 2010

No thinner place for a mother

For over thirty years I was married to an alcoholic, so I’ve known many thin places in my life. Even after my husband was killed in a car accident, the thin places assailed in different disguises. I knew that God was with me in each miserable, frightening and tragic place, but I couldn’t always sense his presence. Many times I felt alone.

The time I most questioned God’s perfect love was when my youngest daughter, only seventeen, was snatched from my life in a tragic car accident. Could there be any thinner place for a mother than to lose her child?

In the dark months that followed, I pleaded with God to let me see Karin again in a dream and have the assurance that he really does care. For months my nights were silent, filled only with tears.

On the eve of her eighteenth birthday, four months after her death, I once again fell asleep on my tear stained pillow. But that particular night I found myself in the most beautiful place, surrounded by heavenly music, perfect peace and a love so intense I could literally feel it. Karin was going about life in her mansion called Mizpah, perched high on a hill. Paul says he knew a man who’d been transported to the third heavens. Had God allowed me there too?

When I woke, I could still feel her kisses on my cheek. I hurried to my Bible. Mizpah, a watchtower: “May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent one from the other.”

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I am so sorry for you losses. Praising the God of All Comfort for such personal care in your life. {hug}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia,

    Welcome to Blogger-space! Thanks for two great posts. You certainly have some writing fodder there oh retired farmer's wife. (Where does the word "retired" fit though?)

    Blessings on your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's so beautiful. I love your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jong Lydia dit is amazing, vir jou moet ek ontmoet, dat jy so sprankel en al so swaar moes kry, is ons Skepper nie wonderlik nie , kan daar nie vir ons almal 'n Mizpah wees nie. En jy skryf so mooi. God Bless
    Love A3

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many memories - so many tears. Natasha Bochnig

    ReplyDelete

 
View My Stats